How do you prep for Exam 70-510? The first place to start is the Preparation Guide for Exam 70-510 on the MS Learning site. That gives you a quick overview of the topics. However, the guide isn’t too specific. Here are a few key points to keep in mind.
- In general, Microsoft exams do not test your knowledge of the UI. Thus studying up on what menu items are available is generally a waste of time.
- Understand the command line. Partially because of 1), but also because the questions can be written more clearly, there is a tendency to lean on the command line for answers. You don’t need to be a command line genius, but you do need to understand the basics and understand the features available.
- Don’t believe that you can pass the test simply because you are an expert TFS user. The test is a Technical Specialist exam, which means that it does not test you on best practice type questions, but rather on questions that test your ability to perform particular tasks related to administering TFS and Team Projects.
- The answers for the test are specific to TFS 2005 SP1. That means that you will need to study up on some features which are available only in SP1, such as custom controls and the like.
- When the question says only 2 answers are correct, and you think 3 are correct, think very, very carefully. You are wrong, and there is a something you’re missing.* (see Disclosure 2 below)
- You can’t go wrong with Pro Visual Studio Team System with Team Edition for Database Professionals by Jeff Levinson and David Nelson.
- Consider buying an exam prep. The test is difficult, and an exam prep may help you learn those rather obscure points you’ll need to be proficient at to pass the exam.
- Jeff Levinson is a coworker. But my recommendation of his book is based on the large trove of useful information contained inside of it.
- I was involved in the creation and technical review of 70-150. Thus, I’m bound by NDA to not disclose particular features of the test, or things that other people may be able to talk about. (So, if you’ve successfully passed this test, feel free to comment on this post, and let others know your recommendations!) PS. If you have complaints about the test, I’m not WHOLLY responsible… 😉
Thanks to Steve Shippee for recommending this FUQ!
UPDATE: Don’t forget to register for a free Second Shot, just in case you fail the exam the first time!